Sunday, November 05, 2006

In awe of artists

Althea Merback, Gloves, 2005. Wire-knitted silk. Collection Kentucky Gateway Museum Center.

Someday, I will use my brain and write about distinctions between and shared aspects of "art" and "craft". But, today is not that day. You're not feeling it. I'm not feeling it. We, collectively, are not feeling it.

Regardless (or "irregardless" as some insist), feel THIS!

Check out this link for the Radical Lace & Subversive Knitting exhibit, which will be at the Museum of Arts and Design in New York, January 25 - June 17, 2007. There is some serious shit going on up in there. Serious.

Oh, and hey. By the way? Those gloves are wee.

(thanks to Qrious Crafter for posting this info to the SnB Los Angeles Yahoo group)

5 comments:

Nano said...

I've been in awe of "mini" knitting for a while. Check out

http://www.bugknits.com/

That's Althea Merback's website.

Dr. B. said...

Thanks for the link, Nano! The creations on her site are incredible.

Would micro-knitting count as a new hobby, or just a sub-hobby of an already-existing one?

Spinner said...

That is a cool link - and those glvoes are Incredible! My grandmother was telling me about how she used to knit stockings on toothpicks for Christmas ornaments - and I thought THAT sounded complicated!

Kristy said...

Wow! Those littl gloves are stunning. It makes my eyes hurt just to contemplate knitting those babies! Sometimes knitting really is a work of art.

And I have to put in my two cents: it is probably a sub-hobby. :)

Nano said...

Hobby or sub-hobby, my fingers were tired after knitting a mini hat. Not even in the micro-knitting range. And it only took a few minutes.