Thursday, April 26, 2007

Approved!

The designer and creator of these awesome slippers gave the go-ahead in yesterday's comments to post photos of said slippers. So here they are!

I did not make these. But I want to make them. Real bad.

So cute!! Want the pattern? Click here.

Want to go to Superbuzzy, who has shipped my bird fabric and made me all atwitter with anticipation, and who alerted me to these slippers in the first place? Click here.

Now. Here's the next question.

Do you want some awesome/geeky/clever/great badges that would look really cute on some slippers if they really existed as badges? I know the answer is yes.


The Order of the Science Scouts of Exemplary Repute and Above Average Physique has constructed many, many super kick-ass nerdy badges, including an arts and crafts badge. The duck pictured above is the "destroyer of quackery" badge:
"In which the recipient never ever backs down from an argument that pits sound science over quackery."
Click here and look at all the glorious badges. If you're a hard-core nerd/geek/cool/hip kid, you won't be disappointed. (via BoingBoing)

Hey! After you look around, come back and tell me:
(1) which badge(s) you think you deserve, and
(2) which badge(s) you would get in that other life you didn't get to have because you were so busy having this one.

Badges and patches are cool!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why, the "arts and crafts" badge of course!
Oh, and the "I've touched human internal organs with my own hands" badge.
(For some strange reason, this is one of my goals!)

YAY to Superbuzzy finally getting it together re geographical locations. I want you to have that bird fabric.

Anonymous said...

Those badges are great. I'm not sure which one suits me, but I love the "dodger of monkey shit" badge. It's so cute!

I have to admit that even though I shun the crochet, those slippers are adorable.

Disclaimer: No offense intended to the crocheting community. I have flashbacks to a bad afghan experience.

Nano said...

OK, some info about me that I'm not too proud to admit, but since I dabbled in biology briefly, but preferred the "pirating" I give myself the "I may look like a scientist, but I'm actually also a pirate" badge.

And because I'm always being told I overuse this phrase, I give myself the:

"I AM actually a freaking rocket scientist" badge.
For members who can utter the phrase "It's not rocket science" with authority.

Though I'm not really a rocket scientist.

Fun, cute post Dr B.

Kristy said...

I still love the slippers. Let me reiterate that I will be the first one on the bandwagon when someone converts the pattern to knitting.

As for badges I must say, first and foremost, "We don't need no stinkin' badges". There. I've said it; however, while I may not NEED any badges, I do want badges. All sorts of fancy badges!

The Arts & Crafts badge, for obvious reasons. (And knitting does involve both math and experimentation so it qualifies.)

The MacGyver badge, because I once fixed my car with some Femo clay (seriously, yes I did.)

Destroyer of Quackery. While I may not discuss science endlessly, I do like to talking about quackery stuff. Does that count?

The Astronaut badge because I so wanted to be an astronaut when I was growing up.

And last but not least, the I May Look Like a Scientist But I Am Actually a Ninja badge because this totally rocks. And my job would be so much cooler if I could threaten people with my ninja skills when they start acting like annoying, brainless children. Not that that happens.

Kristy said...

Is it abuse of another bloggers comments to prattle on like that? Sorry. My only defense is - you asked. ;)

Dr. B. said...

This is great! You all make me so happy!

Who would've known Nora longs to touch guts?
Kristy, I don't know about other bloggers, but this one here is nothing but delighted at thorough-going comments, particularly when they involve details about one's talents!

And Kim, I'm with you. Give me a "dodger of monkey shit" badge any day.

Faith said...

Wonderful link! I know exactly how you feel about the crochet, but the lesser-of-the-fiber-arts (ooh I said it!) is at least temporarily redeemed by these slippers!

Kim said...

That is a cool web site!

I deserve:
"I bet I know more computer languages than you, and I'm not afraid to talk about it" badge."

What I wish I had:
"I've been rejected by the New Yorker"

My husband so qualifies for "world's foremost expert on an obscure subject"!

Anonymous said...

Oh My God! I actually qualify for one of these! The "I've Eaten What I've Studied" badge.

In high school, we were disecting squid which had clearly come from a frozen bag of squid intended for the table. I commented on this to my friends and was immediately dared, so I ate the eggs (the eggs got more of an "eewh!" effect from the crowd) from a thawed, raw squid in Biology class. It wasn't half bad.

Kim (from Playa del Rey, CA)

Bostonworkerbee said...

I like patches so much, I named my CAT Patches. I'm thinking of getting some badges to put on her. hee hee!

Dr. B. said...

Hey Kim (from Playa del Rey) - You got an "ewww" from me, too! Wowee!

PatchesMom - Patches rock! I'd love to see a kitty with cute patches on it. Maybe a little kitty cardigan with some patches on it? Now that would be cute!

Thanks for reading, you two!