Sunday, April 01, 2007

Overheard at the fancy supermarket

Small woman, mid-20s, pushes past me line to meet up with the dude she's with. She's holding a giant bottle of some beverage with a drawing of some pears on it.

Small woman: Oh my GOD! I had this in Europe, and it's AMAZING!
Dude: Really?
SW: It's AMAZING! It's completely amazing. I had it in Europe. And it's SO amazing.
Dude: Huh.
SW: I wonder where it's from. It is SO good.

She looks closely at the bottle, reading.

SW: I would think it's made in Europe. It's so incredible. (She keeps reading. She stops cold.) Florida?!
Dude: Huh.
SW: It's made in Florida?! (Panic time.)
Dude: Wow.
SW: Oh, no. (Sigh of relief washes over her.) It's just distributed by Florida.

Once she said it was distributed by Florida, I was out. That was all I needed.

I may've gone to the fancy supermarket for the eclairs and the deal on Vitamin water, but I most certainly left with more than that. I left knowing that there's a pear drink out there that is European-ly delicious. And that that very drink is distributed by Florida. And that that woman -- the one who pushed past me with glee and pride -- will be able to sleep tonight, knowing that the amazing drink she had in Europe was not made in Florida.

Everything's gonna be all right, everybody.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep...
It's like the Jo Sharp Australian Alpaca yarn I bought yesterday - the Australian alpaca yarn that's MADE IN NEW ZEALAND!

Nano said...

Haha... I'm cracking up. Distributed by Florida. This sorta stuff just seeks you out, doesn't it?

Kristy said...

Whoa - she really dodged a bullet on that one. I am guessing her little world would have crumbled if her favorite European liquor was actually MADE BY Florida instead of just distributed by Florida?

Anonymous said...

You are too funny!