Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Crochet redeems itself. For a moment.

I don't know that my overall position has changed on crochet (read about my overall position here), but these *cursing* *cursing* slippers really go a long way toward elevating the form.

Click here to see. They are called Babushka ballerinatofler. [I would've put the photo here, but they said right there I couldn't, so I didn't. Just go look and come back.]

Did you see those little iron-on patches?!

And the soothing shape of the slippers themselves?!

Yeah. So, I'm looking at these things, I'm punching stuff because they're so cute, and I realize I may have to re-give in to the crochet.

I'm guessing the designer is trying to win a toaster for recruiting crochet skeptics (or she's just a kind person), because she graciously shares her pattern here. In two languages!

Never let it be said I'm not flexible or willing to reconsider the merits of something. You can fairly say I'll be grouchy about it, but you can't say I won't do it. Because I will. This post, if nothing else, should demonstrate that.

(These slippers are via Superbuzzy, who - for some reason - thinks I live in an area not served by the US Postal Service, and so will not let me order that godforsaken bird fabric already. Yeah. Just a little grouchy.)

Crochet!

Edited to add: Problem was not with Superbuzzy, but with the USPS. The lovely people at Superbuzzy responded promptly to my concern, and my order is officially placed! Woo-hoo! Bye-bye, grouchies. Hello, bird fabric!

12 comments:

Dr. B. said...

Thanks to Kristy for the heads-up about the comments being turned off earlier! Not my doing, I assure you. But I think it has been remedied. So sorry about that.

Anonymous said...

Huh?!? You live in LA! LA!!! They ship to AU for God's sake!

Kristy said...

Hurray! The comments are here. I was worried that you turned them off for fear of getting crochet related hate mail. (I have been known to spew forth with my fair share of crochet hate speech, so I would understand that.)

On a separate note, while at Borders last week, I contemplated a copy of your Craft magazine. It really is a hateful magazine. (But in a women-love-to-love-bad-boys sort of way.)

Sarah said...

Hee hee... yes, you got sucked back in by the crochet tractor beam. Lucky you! Uh, speaking of tractor beams, I adore your R2D2 tea towel. I want one!!! Very cool. Thanks for dropping through TLG. I'm having a great time reading your blog. And I sent the village voice article on Mims to everyone I know.

Jean said...

So the slippers are crocheted. Then you felt them, right? Some knitters are against felting the knitting because it feels like ruining all the lovely knit stitches. In that spirit, if you don't like crochet (can't blame you) shouldn't felting it be just the thing to do? You get to enjoy the speed of crocheting but then don't have to look at the crochet because you get the cool felted slippers instead. Ta da!

Dr. B. said...

Nora - It's all better now (see my ETA). I am SO excited about that fabric!

Kristy - You are hilarious, if not a bit too smart for your own good.

Sarah - Thanks for the propers on the tea towel! It's quite popular, and if only I'd prioritize things, maybe more would get made. Priorities!

Jean - Brilliant! I shall regard you as the Queen of the Win-Win!

Ashley said...

I was popping in to offer my services as Superbuzzy middleman--but it's much more efficient if they'll ship right to you. Because after all, I'd get that fabric in the mail, and then be all, oh dude, I am TOTALLY keeping that. Which would be inefficient. For you. Not so much for me.

Anonymous said...

Dang, those are super cute. Double dang, I don't know how to crochet!

Nano said...

So cute. Thanks for the hook up to the pattern. I've been crocheting a lot lately. I more project won't hurt.

Stacey said...

Those are some super cute slippers - the link to the pattern isn't working for me, but i'll check back on it later. I may even give in to crochet for those slippers....

Anonymous said...

So you really like my slippers! Thank you so much for all your kind words. Sharing the photo is ok as long as you link back.
With the right kind of yarn they will not look crocheted at all :O) (A toaster would be nice, but really, I'm sharing because I'm a kind person!! Of course recruiting a few new crocheters would be nice too)

Dr. B. said...

Woo-hoo! Thank you so much, Guro! I will post pics promptly. Cheers!