Tuesday, July 24, 2007

More Than I Can Chew is my middle name

Has anyone made these?

I've seen lots of them on Ravelry, and a friend has just asked if I'd make them for her.

You're probably thinking a few things:

1. This friend is over-estimating my abilities.
2. This friend doesn't really know my slow-moving ways.
3. This friend may not be a friend once this thing gets going.

Given my track record with sock completion, I am reluctant to really commit. (Yes. There are still outstanding socks from Xmas '06 for my sidekick, my dad, and my brother. And?) This fancy girly sock may be just the thing to get my sock engines revving again. All the unfinished socks are boring tube-like socks. (Sorry, tubes and boys.)

Here's what sold me on doing this fancy sock: This friend said that she's discovered that after reading my blog for a while, clicking through to other sites and seeing other people's creations, she's become a "knitting spectator". How great is that?! Knitting as a spectator sport? Awesome.

I think a knitting spectator should get some kind of reward for their support. The reward may or may not be this sock. That remains to be seen. I'm gonna do a little test sample of the pattern this afternoon and see what comes out.

Just because I don't own needles small enough to make this sock is inconsequential at this juncture. Let's not jump to conclusions about what it means that my needles will be too big, or based on the fact that I'm at a first-grade reading level when it comes to reading knitting charts.

Seriously, let's not jump to conclusions.

You may make wagers if you'd like. That seems different to me somehow.

6 comments:

Jean said...

I'm working on that pattern and I love it. One sock is done and I've got a small start on the other. Chart A is really very straightforward. Chart B has that funky stitch in the middle, but don't let it scare you. It feels a little weird the first few times you do it, but gets better from there. You can totally make these socks!

Anonymous said...

Make the socks Dr B! You can do it, I have NO doubt.

Dr. B. said...

Jean - Thank you so much for the tip and encouragement about the funky stitch! It really made a difference as I was trying to figure it out, knowing you'd said it gets better. Thanks!

And Nora - As always, your cheering me on makes me try things I wouldn't ordinarily. Thank you so much for that.

Stacey said...

I love that pattern - it is in my LOOOONNNG queue of stuff to make on Ravelry! Go for it! Spectators should be rewarded!

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to knit it too. But, hey, who am I kidding? There's no time.

Go for it, Dr. B!

Anonymous said...

You can do it! What a fabulous friend you are!