Thursday, August 30, 2007

Delicious Purl

I have a very dear friend who reads my blog, despite his having zero interest in crafting. He is a fine, fine friend indeed. Being an outsider to the crafting world, he makes observations about it that are astute and humbling.

"What I find truly fascinating," he once said to me, very sweetly, "is that the crafting movement seems to be all about hand-making things, standing up against corporate culture and consumerism, and yet..." He paused here for a moment to sheepishly chuckle, "you guys are always buying stuff!"

Yes. Yes we are. It's a puzzler.

From Purl (clockwise from left): Kacha Kacha row counter, knitting needles, bias tape maker, quilter's curved safety pins, and wool felt.

Oh, let me get you a closer look at those needles I bought.


Wait. That's not really clear. Here you go:


That shot is dedicated to my former LYS. You're welcome. (Instead of "You're welcome" I wanted to say "Peace, bitches!" but thought better of it. See how I did that? Smooth move, me!)

ANYway, let's briefly discuss the felt! It was expensive, but it is so beautiful. It has a really subtle herringbone pattern in it, and it's just great. Here's another photo of it.

Scrumptious!

Side note: Pleased with how those photos were turning out, I thought I'd give the embroidery another try in that same warm sunlight.

I'm starting to believe it just can't be done.

10 comments:

Stacey said...

HA! Take that LYS!! :)

What are you planning for the wool - the colors scream autumn!

Ashley said...

Oh so true. Sad, sad. And true. So much buying.

But the thing is, I like, you know, stuff. And it's so very much a better use of my money than, like, drugs.

Anonymous said...

I have touched the felt wool up close and personal-like, and I LOVE IT! But, but, but... I didn't know what to do with it. So, I put it down again. Now I want it! These internets are truly not good for my consumerism addiction.

Still loving the knots too!

Stella said...

Dude, what are you talking about? That's a beautiful picture! The depth of field is excellent, the light is pretty... well done.

Anonymous said...

Oh, the mind boggles... What are you planning to do with handmade tape? How decadent!

Your photos are beautiful - the knots resemble pebbled landscapes. I just wish you'd join Flickr so I can add them to my faves.

Kirsten said...

Heh! You showed them!

Oh that wool felt, I saw that when I was in the store, it is delicious stuff. What are your plans for it?

I've been snooping in your older posts (I am waaaaay behind in my blog reading). Now I want to make a purl bunny.

Dr. B. said...

Stella - Thank you for the props. That's very kind of you!

Kirsten - Make the bunny! Make the bunny!

For the rest of you - I thought I'd use the felt to make little embellishments for things (leaves or birds or something) or maybe make some tiny stuffed animal... but it's also likely I'll get scared to cut the felt, so I'll probably just use it as something to stare at and/or pet. (I kid! I kid!)

Anonymous said...

Half the fun is the purchasing, right?!

Nano said...

Nice stuff! Hope you like those knitting needles as much as I do.

maryse said...

ha! your friend is so very wise.