Thursday, August 16, 2007

Making knots is fun

We do love to make us some knots. Knitting? Series of knots. Embroidery? In this case, all knots. My stomach? Why yes, thank you for asking, it's in knots too.


I'm so thrilled to have had my Yarngentina post selected for the most recent issue of Yarnival! Cara did an incredible job of assembling a group of amazing writers and artists for this issue, and I am super-excited to be in their company.

The follow-up -- including actual photos of the yarns described and poorly drawn in that post -- can be found here, here, here, and here. It's worth a peek, if nothing else just for the aah-OOO-gah factor. It's pretty high, so you might want to prepare. (The Aah-OOO-gah Factor appears courtesy of that cartoon where one character sees another very attractive character and then his eyes aah-OOO-gah out of the sockets.)

In the meantime, while I un-knot my stomach, I'm continuing on with my version of this pillow. I didn't mark the fabric ahead of time, as some of you wisely suggested I do. Not because I don't love and respect you, but because I still haven't found a marking tool I really like, particularly for a bunch of dots.

It seems to be going OK so far, and I am especially pleased with my thread selections (the colors are really beautiful in real life. You're just gonna have to take my word for it).

However, since it has been going so well up to this point, that means debacles are right around the corner. And, as you should know, I am nothing if not an expert in debacles.

If you're new to my blog, please let me know you've stopped by, won't you? Cheers!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOooh, I just love knots and dots and circles and such! It looks very pretty.

Stella said...

I found you yesterday via Yarnival and promptly subscribed, partly so I can see what you do with all that yarn, but mostly because you made me laugh SO HARD.

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos and beautiful work. It reminds me of a landscape - rolling linen hills with tiny little pebbles... :)

In hindsight, not marking produces a very natural piece.

Ashley said...

I love the knots! Pretty, pretty knots. Perhaps the kid of knots that one might make for one's first embroidery project? (I dreamed that I was embroidering the other night--I think someone is trying to tell me something.)

Congrats on Yarnival!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your Yarnival submission! Beautiful knots!

livnletlrn said...

Yup, here through Yarnival. After poking around a bit, I'm now a subscriber. Swooning at the thought of being handed that much gorgeous yarn!

Big Alice said...

Hello! Nice to meetcha!

Thanks for the extra links to the Yarngentina pictures. Reading the account was lovely but it's even better with the pictures.

Kristy said...

I am hopeful for you that there will be no debacles in store for this stunning creation. You are once again tempting me. Really, The Purl Bee (and the others) should pay you some sort of finders fee for sucking us in to this amazing projects.

And hey - apparently your good yarn/bad pictures theory doesn't extend to the embroidery projects.

Ok, yes. Yes, I need to make one of these pillows. I've never embroidered before (though I've done cross stitch...) Would this project be an ambitious place to start?

Kristy said...

P.S. I agree with Nora - these pictures make me think of landscapes.

Dr. B. said...

Ashley and Kristy -- Others may disagree with me, but I'd say you don't want to start with knots. I'd recommend the Sublime Stitching book for starting -- clear pictures and instructions for basic stitches, and iron-on transfers!! But I wouldn't start with these knots...