Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Oh, Irony. Is there nothing you can't do?

I have so much fabric. So, so much fabric. A shameful amount, really. I have lightweight fabrics and heavier-weight fabrics. You want whimsy in a fabric? I've got it. All class? Got that too. And yet...

I'm carrying my knitting around in a raggedy-ass plastic bag.

The affront is not just that this bag is ugly or that it makes a lot of noise when you touch it. (Like people turn to see what all the commotion is about when I take it out of my purse. It's that kind of noisy.) The real rub is that I could make myself a perfectly glorious project bag. A really, truly spectacular little tote. I've got the fabric!

And yet somehow it just doesn't happen.

So I crinkle, crankle, crunkle in waiting rooms, at the car wash, at a friend's house. I apologize for the noise and try to keep it down.

Ah ha! Maybe that's why my Chevron Scarf isn't finished!

I'm so concerned about all the noise, I don't ever reach in to grab the little guy.

My poor little scarf is trapped in a loud bag 'cuz Mama won't make a quieter one!

Does that sound like excuse-making to you in any way? No? Yeah. I thought not. It's too airtight an argument to be an excuse.

Awesome.

12 comments:

Ashley said...

Don't you worry--that Chevron Scarf will have itself a new silent home by the end of the week, if Priority Mail does its job.

Of course, you could just send it to me and I could finish it off for you and then I could, um, send it right back to you. Yeah. That's what I'd do. Send it riiiiight back.

Anonymous said...

Well, it seems that by the end of the week you'll be sporting a new [and very fabulous] Ashley original! Lucky you!

I wonder if she likes swaps...

Oh, Ashleeeeeyyyy...

Carol said...

Get off your behind and SEW! Or put the project in a large Ziploc bag. They don't crinkle.....And there speaks a woman who can barely swe a straight line with a ruler on her machine....

Stacey said...

:) I have a closet full of fabric. Have I EVER sewn a bag. nope....

what yarn and colors are you using for Chevron? Olive green and pink is one of my favorite combos!

Dr. B. said...

Ashley - As they say here on the world wide web, SQUEEEEE!! I am so excited.

Nora - You are a smart one.

Carol - Oh, if only it were so easy. But I appreciate the extra boost of encouragement! As you can see, I have a delightful bag on its way to me, so the problem may be solved shortly!

Stacey - The yarns are Collinette Jitterbug in Castagna and Velvet Leaf. A tasty color combo, for sure!

Leslie said...

O.K., that's it...you need a cute bag for your fabulous knitting! If you don't have time to sew, there are plenty for sale out there. I empower you to buy!

Anonymous said...

It's time to confront you on this - It's time you sat down to make yourself a cute little bag. Poor chevron suffering.

Anonymous said...

I use the crinkly bags too. An absolute pain EXCEPT they do stand up nicely and that makes it all worthwhile.

Dr. B. said...

Francois - It's so nice to know I'm not the only one!

Mary Ann said...

I came to your blog by Tienne's recommendation in her Thulja (sp?) sock blog. I can tell I'm going to like it here. I sew, I knit, I can only find noisy plastic bags when I want to take a project out the door with me. Love your taste in fabric, haven't browsed enough to see actual quilts yet. And you embroider also, we're of like minds. Keep up the good work.

Dr. B. said...

Aw, Topaz - Thank you for your sweet comment! I got all excited to see your blog, what with our being like-minded and all, only to find you don't have a blog. Sad as that is, it's nice to know I'm not alone in loving The Many Crafts. Hooray!

KSee said...

Dr B. I too found you via tienne knits. So true about the bags. I've been using zip lock bags but have been very lucky to work in the "beauty" industry where we get "free" samples for the GWP, gift with purchase that we have in our salons. Really love the colors in the Chevron Scarf. I'll be back